Thread: What does the ..... know?

Default What does the ..... know?

If I take something like 'What does the tapping finger know?' or 'What does the cough know?' or any other example of the 'What does the ..... know?' question, I'm guessing there are people here who would easily answer such a question. What I want to ask if anyone is willing to share is, how do you go about finding the information that is the answer to something like that?

If I'm asked something like an 'around' or 'what else' question, the answer would be visual and/or internal dialogue with kinasethic confirmation.
    Last edited by Olive; 17 April 2010 at 11:39 PM.

sometimes the answers are entirely nonverbal, its another movement or even just an emotion ...
    the soma are even better responding when asking momentum questions - they are movements/flow/patterns/cycles so work better with things like

"and now what is happening", "what knowing could now be emerging?", "and finger moving/tapping, what knowing, from-ing finger moving/tapping?".

Steven

Thanks, i get it now. I should've worked that out, but can make progress now.

When I am being a Clean Language client, I tell myself that in the context of Clean Language 'know' is meant in as open and universal a way as possible, that I might find that answer in ANY way, not just through a cognitive process of knowing.

The purpose of the 'What does ... know?' question in a Clean Language session is to ask a person to give attention to a specific aspect of their current experience and 'notice what they notice' in whatever way works for them (and maybe to try some ways they haven't tried before).

The word 'know' can evoke a response like 'That's the trouble... I don't know' which I would take to mean 'when I run my pattern that corresponds to the word 'know', I get a response I don't like or don't understand'.

Personally as an experienced CL client, if I were asked 'What does (e.g tapping finger) know?' I would take it as an intended-to-be-clean request for me to do something like one or all of the following:

What do you notice in relation to tapping finger?
    What experiences are you having and/or have you had in relation to tapping finger?
    Please pay some attention to tapping finger and report what you notice when you do.
    Ask tapping finger what it knows.
    Ask finger where tapping comes from.
    Ask yourself where tapping comes from.
    For the purpose of increasing the overall self-knowledge of the system, please project on to your finger the possibility that it is an entity like a whole human being with the capacity to know things, then try to ascertain what that knowing would be in this admittedly constructed scenario.
    Pay attention to your tapping finger on whatever channels of perception you wish to employ and see/hear/feel/etc if there is any information being transmitted that you can decipher.
    etc
    etc

Olive, you might be interested to experiment with dropping the 'the' in 'What does [the] ... know?' e.g asking 'What does tapping finger know?' instead of 'What does the tapping finger know?' When you try it, does it make a difference?

We have discussed 'know' elsewhere in the forum I think (I should put a link here, however I am just back from Lisbon via 48 hours of taxi, coach, ferry, car, another car and another taxi and my 'knowing' where that thread is feels a bit impaired just now... more homemade cups of tea needed ).

Nice, Phil.

The knowing is also a presupposing that the tapping does know something ... alternatives include "signalling", "purpose", "intention", "doing", "wanting (to have happen)", "saying/showing/communicating/relating" ... "which is the cleanest given the client's context?" is a useful guiding meta question for me while facilitating.

Steven

Michael S. Gazzinga and Joseph E. LeDoux say in The Integrated Mind (1978): "In 1960 Dr. Joseph Bogen, who at the time was a resident at White Memorial Hospital in Los Angeles, proposed [Ö] that the brain could be split [Ö] One of the immediate and compelling consequences of brain bisection was that the interhemispheric exchange of information was totally disrupted, so that visual, tactual, proprioceptive, auditory, and olfactory information presented to one hemisphere could be processed and dealt with with in that half brain, but these activities would go on outside the realm of awareness of the other half-cerebrum. [..] Thus, for example, if a word (such as spoon) was flashed in the left visual field, which is exclusively projected to the right hemisphere in man, the subject, when asked, would say, "I did not see anything", but then subsequently would be able, with the left hand, to retrieve the correct object from a series of objects placed out of the view. Furthermore, if the experimenter asked "What do you have in your hand?, the subject would typically say, "I donít know". Here again, the talking hemisphere did not know. It did not see the picture, nor did it have access to the stereognostic (touch) information from the left hand, which is also exclusively projected to the right hemisphere. Yet, clearly, the right half-brain knew the answer, because it reacted appropriately to the correct stimulus."

Iím not saying that any one of you deals with any split brain patient, but it may be interesting to notice the difference in reaction between the left and right limbs. Has anyone experienced this?
    Would there be a difference between male and female?

Thanks everyone, i wasn't sure what sort of response if any i would get on this, and the responses have been brilliant for me. Given me a lot to ponder and a lot of different practical routes to try out.

Phil, the questions are great, lots of ways forward to explore. Dropping the 'the', from initially trying it, yes made a difference in helping to experience 'tapping finger' as an entity in its own right, (less dissociated from 'me') and then access what goes with it., what the next thing is that comes up. Probably can say more when i've explored it more. Will look for know - appreciate a reply at all in those circumstances, and a really good reply for me.

Different presupposings, initially bringing up different responses, different information. Actually most of the the different questions and question forms from this thread seem to bring up different information and/or memories to follow. So a lot of 'knowings'!

And Corrie, interesting as well.