Thread: Any other answer?

Default Any other answer?

I'm reading Steve's syllabus on Systems Thinking and found this sentence:

"Also ask what other answers there are to the question."

So, perhaps instead of asking the same question several times, you might ask: "And when [...], is there any other answer to this question?"

Default AWWYL2HH again

I'm reading Steve's syllabus on Systems Thinking and found this sentence:

"Also ask what other answers there are to the question."

So, perhaps instead of asking the same question several times, you might ask: "And when [...], is there any other answer to this question?"
    Asking 6+1 recursive questions helps the system move to resolution. If you don’t do this [instead asking "And when [...], is there any other answer to this question?"] then there the system will be able to look for other answers or/and the results will be half baked.
    When you have run a series the last question is ‘and is there anything else?’; this could be perceived by the client as ‘are there any other answers?’
    Emergence IMO is about the systems natural progression through the answers, in its own order and fashion.
    At the end of a series of questions you could refer back to the starting statement (however the client invariably will have no affinity with this) eg
    AWWYL2HH
    ‘I’d like to de-stress’

AITAE?
    & when ‘I’d like to de-stress’ is there anything else about that?
    But as you know Corrie, as a rule the client must record their first words because by the end of a session they will not have any remembrance of where they started. So the question you ask would be difficult to answer.

Having said all that I would hold ‘an awareness’ that there may be more if the subject has not been fully explored. This is why there is NO process, you go where the information leads. The process of emergence will generally explore what the system needs to in the moment and the system reaches a more balanced state, but not complete.

Hope the weekend was successful

Thank you John:

"The process of emergence will generally explore what the system needs to in the moment and the system reaches a more balanced state, but not complete."

I fully agree with you that exploring what is within the system usually gives you an answer. But just to encourage out-of-the-box-thinking, the question "is there any other answer to this question?" (which by the way is another question!) might divert the client's attention outside his or her current thinking-pattern.

This weekend we were looking out to sea, watching the ships go by, and I told my story of how I once got stuck in Calais because the gas-stations were on strike. I decided to have a fruits-de-mer, so I could think of a solution. I didn't come up with one, so I thought there would be no other option than to find a B&B and wait. Then I passed the ferry-terminal and it occurred to me that there was no strike in Britain, so if I just took my car on the boat to the other side, I would be able to get some gas, which I did.